Sulu clashes leave 12 militants dead, 5 soldiers wounded

Zamboanga City – At least 12 Abu Sayyaf militants were killed and five soldiers were wounded on the government side in four separate clashes amid heightened military offensive in the hinterlands of Sulu.

The first clash ensued April 11 at around 10:37 a.m. at Sitio Bud Taming in Panglayahan village, Patikul, Sulu.Β 

Col. Gerry Besana, Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) information officer, said the firefight broke out when the troops from the Army’s 32nd Infantry Battalion encountered some 120 Abu Sayyaf bandits led by leader Radullan Sahiron and sub-leader Hatib Hajan Sawadjaan while on combat operation at Sitio Bud Taming in Panglayahan village.

After a 40-minute gunbattle, the Abu Sayyaf militants fled towards southwest direction from the site of encounter.

Besana said the second firefight broke out at 3:43 p.m. on same day at Sitio Kan-Isnain in Kabbon Takas village, Patikul with the Army’s 1st Scout Ranger Battalion engaging some 80 militants who are followers of Sawadjaan and Almujer Yadah.

The bandits, Besana said, fled as they were outmaneuvered by the troops.

The third clash ensued at 5:13 p.m. also on Thursday between the Army’s 3rd Scout Ranger Battalion and 10 Abu Sayyaf militants while on blocking position at Sitio Tambang, also in the village of Kabbon Takas.

The militants withdrew after engaging the government troops in more than two hours of firefight bringing along with them their casualties.

While on hot pursuit operation on fleeing militants previously encountered by the troops, soldiers from the 32nd Infantry Battalion had clashed with another group of Abu Sayyaf militants also at Sitio Tambang, Kabbon Takas village at 5:26 p.m. of the same day.

It was learned the militants that clashed with the Army’s 32nd Infantry Battalion troops have previously engaged the 1st Scout Ranger Battalion troops in a gunbattle.

Reports gathered from the ground had indicated that 12 Abu Sayyaf militants were killed while undetermined number were wounded in the series of clashes.

Besana said the troops retrieved the remains of the two slain bandits at the clash site in Kabbon Takas.

Also recovered in the area were a pair of Night Vision Goggles, 40 makeshift tents, 50 water containers, and five sacks of rice.

The five wounded soldiers were brought to a hospital for medical attention. (jm)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *